Business is not everyone’s cup of tea and requires proper planning and systematic approach to be a success. Many an entrepreuener have flopped, not due to a lack of drive or ideas, but due to simple mistakes made, while executing financial dealings.
The key requirement of any business; be it an established one or a start-up is adequate funds. Handling these funds on a regular basis forms the crux of any business’ future growth and potential. Business finance is different from personal finances, but the basic principle underlying both is the same. In either case, one wishes for profits or income to soar and expenses to decrease.
For a business to be successful, it has to have a long term business plan. It takes years for one to earn a strong track record and gain goodwill.
The success of any business is based on its balance sheet and bankability. If it shows steady profit and growth, Banks and Institutions view it favorably and are more inclined to invest in them.
The best of businesses have failed due to some of the simplest reasons. A little carelessness in handling business finance can lead to great problems later on. It is advisable to start paying attention to these from day one itself.
Following are a few simple but very important tips, while dealing with financial issues, which will ensure the growth of your company:
• Maintaining Monthly Records – Bookkeeping is vital for any organization, be it large or small. A large number of people overlook this basic job. Keeping regular records of all expenses and income is an ideal way to keep yourself informed about where you stand. Regular bookkeeping also creates a track record, which will be very useful when dealing with banks and such other Institutions.
• Proper Cash Flow Projections – this is very important, as it is like a blue print for the future of your company. If you don’t know where and how you are going to operate, you will soon be lost. A practical cash flow projection will help you deal with any situation and helps you prepare for contingencies. To flourish a business needs targets and this can be achieved with a proper cash flow. Without targets or projections, your company will be like a ship sailing without a rudder. It is vital to make detailed plans and stick to them.
• Timely Credit Collection – any business, even if it is doing wonderful sales, will go nowhere if it doesn’t take steps to collect its payments on time. It is common for many small business owners to give customers time to pay invoices. But this often leads to payments being delayed and long drawn out. Make sure that you regularly follow-up on invoices and if possible draw up strict rules about payment schedules in your contract and invoices.
• Budgets – a common mistake many business owners make is not preparing a budget. It is very easy to lose track and make expensive purchases for your company, many of them being totally superfluous. By preparing a budget for each month, you can save yourself from needless expenditure and also be aware of how you will be placed financially the coming months.
• Delegating and Outsourcing – Many a business has floundered because of this basic mistake. You are good at what you do, that is your core business. Don’t try to don other hats to save a few pennies. Leave other chores such as accounting to professionals. Not only will you get better results, but this will leave you free to handle the basic job of increasing your business. Outsourcing jobs make cost a little at the start, but it will be more than worth it in the long run.
A large organization or a micro venture, no business can afford to overlook the above mistakes. If you are looking for long term growth and respect from financial institutions, it is vital to keep your financial dealings in proper order by following these simple tips.Google+